Italy asked in June 2012 for 100 000 000 000 Euros for the bank sector. Wolfgang Münchau of the Financial Times points to the troublesome situation in Italy and one of the prime reasons why the fiscal union may be very difficult to achieve. During 2013 Italian debt was crossing 130% of GDP.
- UniCredit SpA
- Intesa Sanpaolo SpA
- Cassa depositi e prestiti SpA
- Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA
Among Italian banks with problems:
- Banca Monte dei aschi di Siena (BMPS), also called the world oldest bank has a capital deficit of 3.3 billion Euros. The bank received the equivalent 1.9 billion Euros in national aid 2009.
- Banca Popolare: the share is very volatile and fell 9% in may 2012 about news in Greece election.
- Monte dei Pasch: have problem reaching the targets from EBA
Bank of Italy member in BIS.
The unemployment rate in Italy was 10.8% in March 2013.